Chinese Whispers + San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park celebrate Lunar New Year
Transformations and Renewals
Saturday, February 23, 2013
The lunar new year of the Black Water Snake begins on February 10th. The snake symbolizes renewal and transformation. Join us on historic sailing ship Balclutha to celebrate the spirit of transformation —
· Hear SF poet Genny Lim read poems of transformation.
· Transform a secret message in a game of ‘Chinese whispers’.
· Listen to stories passed down through generations about the early Chinese pioneers in the Sierra and the Bay who transformed their immigrant experiences and helped build America.
· Learn about the Chinese cannery workers on ships such as Balclutha from SFMNHP Exhibits Curator Richard Everett, as seen through the eyes of journalist Max Stern who shipped out “incognito” with the cannery hands.
· Take a self-guided tour of the ship’s “Chinatown”.
Space is limited – COME EARLY!